Impact of parental alcohol and drug misuse on children
Drug Misuse and Motherhood gives drug-using mothers a voice. Based on longitudinal research and in-depth interviews it provides new insights and much-needed information in five key areas:. The user-perspective of this book is balanced by the professional viewpoint on the same issues. It offers a unique source of data for researchers and fresh inspiration for practitioners working in the field.
Search all titles.
Attachment Theory and Maternal Drug Addiction: The Contribution to Parenting Interventions
Search all titles Search all collections. Your Account Logout.
- Arthas: Rise of the Lich King (World of Warcraft, Book 6).
- Infant of a substance using mother.
- Notorious Prisons of the World;
- RELIGIOUS SUPPORT,FM 1-05, Military manual!
- The World Trading System: The Uruguay Round and Beyond.
- The Sacred and Secular Canon in Romanticism: Preserving the Sacred Truths;
Drug Misuse and Motherhood. Edition 1st Edition. First Published Imprint Routledge.
Addicted and Pregnant: How States Deal With Drug Problems When You're Expecting
However, along with nutrients, any toxins in the mother's system may be delivered to the fetus. These toxins may cause damage to the developing fetal organs.
A baby also may become dependent on substances used by the mother. More significant long-term developmental problems may be seen in babies who are born with growth failure or various organ problems. In the case of babies whose mothers used narcotics, the baby is most often given small doses of a narcotic at first. The amount is slowly adjusted as the baby is weaned off of the substance over days to weeks. Sedatives are sometimes used as well. Infants with organ damage, birth defects or developmental issues may need medical or surgical therapy and long-term therapies.
Substance Misuse in Pregnancy
In addition, these infants are more likely to grow up in homes that do not promote healthy emotional and mental growth. Hudak M. Infants with antenatal exposure to drugs. Fanaroff and Martin's Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine.
Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Saunders; chap Prenatal drug exposure. Avery's Diseases of the Newborn. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; chap Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. Editorial team.
- Addicted and Pregnant: How States Deal With Drug Problems When You're Expecting.
- Vision in children born to mothers taking methadone in pregnancy?
- Pregnant women and substance use: fear, stigma, and barriers to care.
Infant of a substance using mother.