Like most everyone fascinated by the life and times of this writer, he knows all about Jewett and Boston aristocrat Annie Fields: they were close friends, deeply and even passionately connected, travel companions, and life partners. The signs are everywhere.
- Disorders of the Cervical Spine;
- Practical Photoshop (May 2012);
- Jewett, Sarah Orne (1849 – 1909).
Indeed, there are love poems directed quite startlingly to women, dozens of them, in fact. Jewett wrote in the opening of an poem:. Jewett wrote to Fields in Nina Maurer, regional administrator for the Jewett House in South Berwick and several other historic New England properties in the s, recalls that even at a Jewett conference in , no one was willing to go out on a limb and say Jewett was gay. And that would require an understanding that there is a culture associated with lesbianism.
Jewett and Fields were part of several networks of upper- and upper-middle-class lesbian activists and artists who only recently have begun to be uncovered and studied. The Country of the Pointed Firs , focused on the lives and the relationships between older, rural women in Maine, is quintessentially lesbian, but it has been historically closeted along with her life by both academics and docents. There are in fact some parallels between the two couples: Olive was older than Verena, more aristocratic; Fields was also older and more urbane than Jewett, a native of rural Maine.
Without commenting on this possibility, Leon Edel claims that James was merely reflecting the attitudes of his time in depicting the women so harshly. In order to set up a list of libraries that you have access to, you must first login or sign up.
- Dialogue Processing in Spoken Language Systems: ECAI96 Workshop Budapest, Hungary, August 13, 1996 Revised Papers.
- The Do-it-Yourself Gunpowder Cookbook.
- Buy Sarah Orne Jewett An American Persephone 1989?
- Military Rule and Transition in Ecuador, 1972–92.
- A Load of Old Tripe.
- Argentina: An Economic Chronicle. How one of the richest countries in the world lost its wealth?
- Services just a click away?
Then set up a personal list of libraries from your profile page by clicking on your user name at the top right of any screen. Separate different tags with a comma. To include a comma in your tag, surround the tag with double quotes. Please enable cookies in your browser to get the full Trove experience. Skip to content Skip to search.
Desire Under the Firs | PORTLAND MAGAZINE
Sherman, Sarah Way. Language English. Creator Sherman, Sarah Way. Content Types text Carrier Types online resource Physical Description 1 online resource xii, pages, 8 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations.
Sarah Orne Jewett
Subjects Jewett, Sarah Orne, -- Criticism and interpretation. Jewett, Sarah Orne, Women and literature -- Maine -- History -- 19th century. National characteristics, American, in literature. Women and literature.
Sarah Orne Jewett
Maine -- In literature. Summary Annotation. The tale of Demeter and Persephone, a central myth of Victorian women's culture, is used to interpret the life and work of a 19th-century Maine writer.
Notes Includes bibliographical references pages and index. Electronic reproduction.
- Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Frontiers in Intelligent Computing: Theory and Applications (FICTA) 2015!
- Sarah Orne Jewett, an American Persephone.
- Green Tea - A Medical Dictionary, Bibliography, and Annotated Research Guide to Internet References.
- Jewett, Sarah Orne (1849-1909).
- Chemical and Catalytic Reaction Engineering?
Sarah Orne Jewett, an American Persephone. Digital Library Federation, December Set up My libraries How do I set up "My libraries"? La Trobe University Library.